Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Sex (I'm a...) by Berlin - January 25 80's Quest Song/Band of the Day


File this song under "Sexy Songs of the 80's"....perhaps one of the sexiest.  So sexy that this song was banned from some radio stations at the time.  One of my best high school buddies Anthony loved Berlin and this song. It always makes me think of him, so this one goes out to him today!  It was a fun song to dance to, although I think we heard it more at clubs (or in our own rooms on the stereo), as they obviously weren't playing it at our high school dances.

Berlin was an L.A. band formed in 1978 led primarily by John Crawford who was their primary songwriter, bass and synthesizer player.  The band was largesly influenced by the synthesizer/keyboard heavy music of Kraftwerk and Ultravox.

Other members besides Crawford included Terri Nunn (vocals), David Diamond (keyboards), Rick Olsen (guitar), Matt Reid (keyboards) and Rod Learned (drums) who was later replaced by Rob Brill after the first European tour.

The band released it's first single on a small label in 1979.  Terri Nunn left the band to pursue acting (Earlier she had auditioned for the role of Princess Leia in "Star Wars") but returned to sing with the band again in 1981.  Berlin signed to Enigma Records and had their first hit in 1982 with
"Sex (I'm A...)" off their "Pleasure Victim" EP which also spawned another hit "The Metro" which got a lot of airplay on MTV. Crawford penned all but one of the songs on the "Pleasure Victim" EP.  Due to the positive response to this EP, Berlin then signed to Geffen Records.

They put out a second album in 1984, "Love Life" which contained the hit "No More Words" backed by a Bonnie & Clyde-style video for the song.  Their best-selling single was "Take My Breath Away" from their third album "Count Three and Pray" which was released in 1986.  It was used on the soundtrack for the movie "Top Gun" which starred Tom Cruise. Personnel changes had plagued the band, and by the time this album was released Nunn and Crawford were the only remaining original members left in Berlin.  By 1987 it had all disintegrated.  Nunn and Crawford were not speaking, there were creative differences, and the band broke up.

In 2004 cable television channel VH1 aired an excellent show called "Bands Reunited" on which they would find the members of bands from the 80's, attempt to reunite them, and get them to play a
one-off show together again.  I absolutely loved this show and have no idea why we did not get more than a speckling of episodes.  I wished it would have aired, and aired, and aired for years.  I enjoyed this show a lot.  I found a clip from the "Bands Reunited" episode featuring Berlin (see the link below).  In it Nunn and Crawford explain the break-up and you can see how the band members looked in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-yuVRnhF2s

Up until the Band's Reunited episode occured Crawford had stepped away from music for 10 years.  If memory serves me correct he was working doing something with computers (?).  He became a born-again Christian and was married with kids.

Nunn got a Master's degree in nutrition and co-hosts "Between the Sheets" a podcast on Hottalkla.com and is due to have a new radio show in 2012 on KCSN-FM (Cal-State Northride in California) as well as record a new album. 

Lyrics:

Feel the fire, feel my love inside you it's so right
There's the sound and the smell of love in my mind
I'm a toy, come and play with me, say the word now
Wrap your legs around mine and ride me tonight
I'm a man, I'm a goddess
I'm a man, well I'm a virgin
I'm a man, I'm a blue movie
I'm a man, I'm a *****
I'm a man, I'm a geisha
I'm a man, I'm a little girl
And we make love together

Slip and slide in your wet delight, feel the blood flow
Not too fast, don't be slow, my love's in your hands

I'm a man, I'm a boy
I'm a man, well I'm your mother
I'm a man, I'm a one night stand
I'm a man, am I bi
I'm a man, I'm a slave
I'm a man, I'm a little girl
And we make love together

Skin to skin, tongue to oooh! come on honey hold tight
Come inside, it's a passion play just for you
Let's get lost in that magic place all alone now
Drink your fill from my fountain of love, wet your lips

I'm a man, I'm a teaser
I'm a man, well I'm a virgin
I'm a man, I'm a one night stand
I'm a man, I'm a drug
I'm a man, well I'm your slave
I'm a man, I'm a dream divine
And we make love together

I'm a man, I'm a goddess
I'm a man, I'm a hooker
I'm a man, I'm a blue movie
I'm a man, I'm a slut
I'm a man, I'm babe
I'm a man, I'm a dream divine
And we make love together
And we'll make love forever


No comments:

Post a Comment