Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Puss N Boots" by Adam Ant - January 10th 80's Quest Song/Band of the day




We've all seen the "Goody Two Shoes" and "Strip" videos a gazillion times, and I almost posted "Desperate but Not Serious", but instead I decided to post a different song from the Strip album because I am a sucker for any song about moving off to the big bad city - I think it comes from watching the animated movie "Gay Purree" on tv every Thanksgiving as a kid and seeing young mademoiselle country cat, Mewsette, leave the country to go to Paris only to be menaced by the evil city slicker cat, Meowrice. When I was a teenager I also had a big thing for London, and this song sings about going there; so I really liked this song at the time. Adam Ant is on the scene again and had started touring again, believe it or not. He was supposed to play in NYC in mid-February, but they just pushed his show back to October 6th because of some problems with the record company releasing his album later. I dunno....sounds bad to me; so we shall see what actually ends up happening. Last fall I went to a concert with a friend who was wearing a vintage Adam Ant t-shirt, and let me tell 'ya....she got more postive reactions and comments over that shirt, so there are still people who are into him out there.


Lyrics:

Pussycat's going to London
Looking for love and for fame
I wish somebody had told her
City folks ain't the same
Pussycat carries a postcard
Won't the big city be nice
That's the place with the action
She's gonna have her a slice

Pussycat, pussycat where have you been?
I've been to London, now I'm queen
Sitting pretty, I don't wear suits
And the mice all call me -
Puss'n boots

Pussycat laughs at the warnings
Where there's a will there's a way
I think you'd agree if you saw her
Rome's built in a day
Pussycat's read all the papers
Seen the movie and knows
All the streets lead to somewhere
And the pavement's gold

Although you know it's wrong
You must do it everyday
When the morning comes
Don't you turn around and say
It's bound to end in tears
So let's do it anyway

Pussycat wasn't a kitten
And not as dumb as they thought
She had a good head on her shoulders
And beauty that couldn't be bought
The royalty made her an offer
If she'd keep trouble at bay
They'd give her the money and diamonds
Be queen for a day


No comments:

Post a Comment