Thursday, January 19, 2012

"Close to the Edit" by The Art of Noise - January 12th 80's Quest Song/Band of the day




Oh!!! I am so pleased to present this one today in 80's quest because this is one of my ALLTIME favorite videos ever made. How can you not love a little angry punk rock kid, dogs and sausages, and guys with chainsaws destroying things?!!! I loved this edgy video from the moment I saw it, and ran out to buy the "Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise" album, which received a TON of play on my stereo back in the 80's from this song to "Beatbox" and the lush and beautiful "Moments in Love".

One of my favorite videos, and one of my favorite 80's bands. I felt they were truly doing something different from most other bands - and doing their own thing! My favorite line in this song (right at the end):
"To be in England in the summertime with my love...close to the edge"

In case you want to learn a little more about this band here's the Wikipedia quick lesson: Art of Noise (also The Art of Noise) was an avant-garde synthpop group formed in 1983 by engineer/producer Gary Langan, programmer J. J. Jeczalik, along with arranger Anne Dudley, producer Trevor Horn and music journalist Paul Morley. The group's mostly instrumental compositions were novel melodic sound collages based on digital sampler technology, which was new at the time. Inspired by turn-of-the-20th-century revolutions in music, the Art of Noise were initially packaged as a faceless anti- or non-group, blurring the distinction between the art and its creators. The band is noted for innovative use of electronics and computers in pop music and particularly for innovative use of sampling. The name of the group alludes to the essay "The Art of Noises" by noted futurist Luigi Russolo.

Lyrics:

HEY!YEH

DUM! DUM!

TRA LA LA!

Clo-clo-clo-close
to to to to the edge
to to to to the edge

To be in England
in the summertime
with my love
close to the edge

No comments:

Post a Comment