Friday, January 27, 2012

"I Get the Job Done" - by Big Daddy Kane - January 27th 80's quest song/band of the day


I gotta admit, I wasn't much into hip hop and rap back in the 80's; but here and there a song came along that I just couldn't help but like.  "I Get the Job Done" by Big Daddy Kane was one of those songs.  I was DJ-ing college radio on W.U.N.H. 91.3 FM when I first heard him.  He's another one of those 80's performers that you can put in the "Sexy Songs" file.  Hell....you can start a new file called "Dirty Songs" and put Big Daddy Kane in there!  In "I Get the Job Done", after all, he is letting the ladies know he is on the J.O.B, and if their husbands can't satisfy them, they should come looking for Big Daddy Kane to be their tasty side order.  His persona was a stylish playboy who oozed sexuality, but he was also known as an enormously talent battle MC.  He had verbal dexterity and could devour people on the mic. 

Check out the video and you will see some of the hip-hop fashion styles that Big Daddy Kane inspired from the high-top fade haircut, chains, four-finger rings, and velour suits, and colorful suits.  He was always known to be a good dresser.

He was born Antonio Hardy in 1968 and grew up in an area of Brooklyn near the Fulton Mall/Metrotech area called Albee Square, later moving to Bedford-Stuyvesant..  His father was a truck driver, and his mother was a registered nurse.  Some say his sense of style was inspired by his uncle Lenny who was always a dapper dresser in suits and straw hats.

He was fascinated with martial arts as a boy and used to see kung-fu and blaxploitation films at the old Slave Theater that used to be on Fulton Street.  That's where the "Kane" part of his name came from.  It stands for "King Asiatic Nobody's Equal".   The "Big Daddy" part, well, you know.... he says that came from something that happened on a ski trip involving a young lady.

In 1984 he met friend Biz Markie at the Albee Square Mall (which is immortalized in Biz Markie's song "The Mall is Gone Now").  Kane went on to co-write many of Biz Markie's songs.  Both became part of the Juice Crew, a collective based out of Queens lead by producer Marly Marl.  In 1987 Kane signed with Marl's  Cold Chillin' record label and released a 12-inch single called "Raw" which became an underground hit.  He also released his debut album, "Long Live the Kane" on this label in 1988.  The following year he released his most successful album to date, "It's a Big Daddy Thing" which contained this song, "I Get the Job Done".  It charted in the R&B Top 40.  Later albums from the 90's never achieved the success of "It's a Big Daddy Thing" because he switched to a more mellow R&B style that wasn't his strong suit (like rapping was),  at a time when gangster rap had become more popular.  Still, Kane is consistently honored as one of the pioneering and best MC's in the genre.  MTV ranked him at #7 of their Greatest MC's Of All Time list.  In Kool Moe Dee's book, "There's a God on the Mic:  The True 50 Greatest MCs" Kane is ranked at #4.  His personal and rapping style influenced many who came later in his wake.

During the 90's when Kane performed and exited the stage to change outfits, Jay-Z would make  cameo appearances to freestyle until Kane returned to the stage.  Jay-Z was also featured on Kane's song "Show & Prove" from the 1994 "Daddy's Home" album.

During the 90's Kane appeared on Patti Labelle's 1991 album "Burnin" providing the rap chorus to the song "Feels Like Another One".  Around this time he also began acting and appeared in Mario Van Peebles western movie Posse in 1993, and that same year in Robert Townsend's "Meteor Man".

He also perpetuated his sex-symbol status by posing for Playgirl magazine and appearing in Madonna's notorious 1992 photo book, Sex.In 2003 he appeared on English trip-hop group Morcheeba's single "What's Your Name".  In 2004 his song "Warm It Up Kane" appeared in the video game Grand Theft Auto:  San Andreas playing on classic hip hop radio station Playback FM.  In 2005 he was awarded during the VH1 Hip-Hop Honors and performed his song "Warm It Up Kane" along with his old back-up dances Scoob and Scrap.  In 2009 he acted in the movie "Just Another Day", a tale of two rappers:  One poor and young, the other older and successful.  In 2009 he returned to Brooklyn (from North Carolina where he was living) to play a show at Prospect Park in his former home-borough.

Lyrics:

[Kane] Hey yo Teddy

[Riley] Yo

[Kane] I ran into a young lady Maliya last night

[Riley] Word?

[Kane] Must have been her husband's payday

[Riley] Heheh

[Kane] because she bought me this here brand new

diamond link that you see me with on

[Riley] Mmm

[Kane] Smooth, you knowhatI'msayin? You know why?

[Riley] Why Kane?

[Kane] Cause I get the job done



Chorus: repeat 2X



"I work" (3X) "I work.. baby!"



[Big Daddy Kane]

The question at hand, is how do I love thee?

I count the ways but girls don't shove me

One by one you can come and caress me

Undress and molest me but you can't possess me

Because I love a young lady that's beautiful

but one that's smart for me, is more suitable

In other words, to make it simple and plain

You gotta have a brain in order to be Ms. Kane

But in the case of not becomin my lady

I take em eight to eighty, dumb crippled and crazy

Crisp and clean with no caffeine

and a pair of spandex or either tight jeans

Couldn't believe the ones with the Chinese*****

but I'll take em with the weave hangin down to they butts

And if you step up in a large sum

Like Martin Luther King, I Shall Overcome

I get the job done



Chorus (+ Kane says "I get the job done!" every two lines)



[Big Daddy Kane]

Some of you ladies make moves too quick

And settle down, without havin a large pick

Rushin to becomin some pooh-butt's wife

and no longer do you enjoy, the married life

Well, I let you know this is a brand new year

so never fear, the Big Daddy is here

To do things in places your husband wouldn't

And do certain things he probably just couldn't

Let me sneak into your life, like a thief in the night

Lick your body all over and squeeze you real tight

Nibble all over your ear and give your back a massage

You'll say, "Oooh I like it just like DeBarge" (how large)

Smooth and mild I'll make you smile

Honey child and if you like then get buckwild

And when I turn her back on, you'll have to say

like Calgon, please take me away

So when your main course is doin nothin for ya

Just look at me as a tasty side order

that came into your life and brought a thrill

Cause any husband won't, I'm a neighbor who will, get the job done..



Chorus (+ Kane says "I get the job done!" every two lines)



[Kane] T.R., take it to the bridge, uhh!



[Big Daddy Kane]

Here's a perfect description of me

Six foot one, and dark and lovely

And if they're sayin black is beautiful, it's true not phony

I'm Brown-er than Bobby so won't you be my +Tenderoni+

And get a whiff of this nymphomaniac

and uhh, the date mack is ready to attack

and prove that I'm a pro and far from a rookie

Ain't no hair on my chest, but I'm one tough cookie

Whoever said you had to be one-hundred percent

masculine in order to be in?

I'd rather be more subtle and smooth and SOOTH

Girl, you won't disapprove

And I promise that you'll never forget

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, now what's a title to fit me?

A champ like Tyson, a Captain like Kirk, no

Employee of the Month, cause yo, I do work

The K-A-N-E is on the J-O-be

An expert, cause I get it D-O-N-E

So lights, camera, action - all hail the one!

That gets the job done



Chorus (+ Kane says "I get the job done!" every two lines)

No comments:

Post a Comment