Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Tell it To My Heart" by Taylor Dayne - March 14th 80's Quest Song of the Day


Oh, this video is a hoot! Talk about being stuck in the 80's...in this one she is sporting 3, count 'em THREE hair-do's all in one:  Big hair, spiral perm, AND crimped bangs -- and don't forget the breakdancers, Chuck Taylor Converse hi-tops, leather biker jacket and corset. Wee....that's getting it all in there!  Taylor Dayne's dance songs and ballads were the soundtrack to my college year's nights out dancing at fraterinity parties and dance clubs.

Taylor Dayne (real name Leslie Wunderman) was born in 1963 in Baldwin, New York. She began singing in high school and local bands such as Felony and Next. After college she went solo and recorded two unsuccessful singles (1985’s "I’m the One You Want" and 1986’s "Tell Me Can You Love Me" using the name Leslee. It was a fellow Baldwin resident, Dee Snider the lead singer of metal band Twisted Sister, who suggested that Leslee, a white Jewish girl from Long Island, change her name to something more exotic and glamorous.
 
Now singing as Taylor Dayne, she began performing in clubs in the Russian-American enclave to Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. It was there that she was discovered.
 
In 1988 she released her solo album, Tell it to My Heart, on Arista records. The title track rose to #7 and the album spawned other dance hits such as "Prove Your Love", "Don’t Rush Me" and ballad, "I’ll Always Love You" (which was her breakthrough song on the Adult Contemporary charts. This song moved her songs a new market from her prior dance-related songs). The album was a worldwide smash in numerous countries.
 
Her next album, 1989’s Can’t Fight Fate spawned more hits "With Every Beat of My Heart", "Love Will Lead You Back" (written by famed pop songwriter, Diane Warren), "I’ll Be Your Shelter" and "Heart of Stone".
 
Dayne wrote much of her own music for her 1993 album, Soul Dancing. The album included a cover of disco stalwart Barry Whites hit, "Can’t Get Enough of Your Love".
 
Arista released a Greatest Hits album in 1995. Overall Dayne had 18 hit songs reach Billboard’s Top Ten.
 
In the 1990’s through the 2000’s Dayne began acting and appeared in the movies Love Affair (a 1994 remake produced by Warren Beatty), Fools Paradise (1997), Stag (1997), and Jesus and the Driver (2004). She also acted in theater productions such as Archie and Mehitabel and Elton John’s Aida on Broadway in 2001. She also acted on television shows: Martial Law, Rude Awakening, and played Carla Day (the leading character’s love interest) on the 1997 science fiction series Nightman.
 
By 1998 Dayne was recording on a new label, Intersound (out of Atlanta, Georgia – USA), a label known for its black gospel music releases. Dayne released Naked Without You, which also included a bonus disc of remixes of some of her earlier hits.
 
Dayne took time off from music to raise a family. She has twins from a surrogate mother named Levi and Astaria. Dayne later appeared on a VH1 television program called Remaking. In it her friends Michelle Reid, and actress Leah Remini help her return to a life of music making after having taken the time off to have a family.
 
In 2007 Dayne released another studio album called Satisfied. The first single was called "Beautiful". She released her 5th album in 2008. In 2009 she appeared in another reality television program called, Gone Country, during the season that fellow 80’s singer
Sheila E was the singer. She released a single in 2010, "Facing a Miracle" which became the theme song to the 2010 Gay Games. She released another single in 2011 called "Floor on Fire" which broke the Billboard Dance/Club Charts Top Ten. In 2012 she appeared in yet another reality television program on the Food Network channel called Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook Off making it all the way to the second to the last competition beating out other celebrities Aaron Carter, Summer Sanders, and Cheech Marin.

Lyrics:

I feel the night explode when we're together.
Emotion overload in the heat of pleasure.
Take me I'm yours into your arms.
Never let me go.
Tonight I really need to know.
Tell it to my heart
Tell me I'm the only one.
Is this really love or just a game?
Tell it to my heart.
I can feel my body rock every time you call my name.
The passion's so complete. It's neverending.
As long as I receive, the message you're sending.
Body to body, soul to soul
Always feel you near.
So say the words I long to hear.
Tell it to my heart.
Tell me I'm the only one.
Is this really love or just a game?
Tell it to my heart.
I can feel my body rock every time you call my name.
Love, love on the run, breaking us down,
Though we keep holding on.
I don't want to lose, no I can't let you go.
Tell it to my heart.
Tell me I'm the only one.
Is this really love or just a game?
Tell it to my heart.
I can feel my body rock every time you call my name.
Tell it to my heart. Tell me from the start. Tell it to my heart.
Tell it to my heart. Tell me from the start. Tell it to my heart.
Never make it stop. Oh, take it to the heart.
Tell it to my heart...
(til fade)

No comments:

Post a Comment