Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Fascinated" by Company B - March 1st 80's Quest Song/Band of the Day


This song reminds me so much of my college years around 1986-1988 when I was in this dance music phase.  Back then I used to go out, and I swear, I would dance at least 3 times a week or more....frat parties, basement parties, clubs.  This was one of the songs we really got into on the dance floor - it was so fun!   They used to play this song a lot on the dance music station KISS 108 FM - Boston.  I used to make party cassettes full of good songs to dance to for various frat house parties, and this song was heavy in the mix.  I owned the album (and they had the white wigs on the cover), but I don't really remember the video being played often, so I didn't realize till I began researching 80's Quest that the white wigs were supposed to be their trademark look ....dreadful idea, eh?!  And don't get me started on the dancing in this video!  Perhaps they didn't have much time to rehearse and had to get this filmed before their studio time ran out!

Back in the 80’s a big trend in the dance music scene was to get some girl singers together, get them in the studio to cut a record, dress them in some hot clothes and send ‘em out on tour. That’s how Company B came to be. They were a trio of latina singers formed in 1986 by a Cuban-American producer named Ish "Angel" Ledesma. The original 3 members were Lori L. (Ledesma), Charlotte McKinnon, and Susan (Gonzalez) Johnson. They got their name from the oldie "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" (a song they later covered in 1989).

The band went through a major rotating cast of characters as women left and were replaced by new members, and then returned again. On and on. I guess the band never really developed strong personalities to the public, so they could just replace them with another girl. They did try to set themselves from other singing groups by wearing platinum white wigs.

Company B’s very first single "Fascinated" was released on an independent record label, The Summer, in 1986. DJ’s began playing the song in clubs all around Miami, and it hit a chord with people. Atlantic Records took notice, signed Company B recorded a full-length self-titled album with them in 1987. With Atlantic’s ability to give the music wider distribution, "Fascinated" was picked up by the radio stations and clubs in other major U.S. cities. Other singles released off the album did not receive play on radio stations, although they were played in clubs.

"Fascinated" hit #1 on the U.S. dance charts and then crossed over to mainstream pop radio, eventually reaching #21 on the Billboard Hot 100.

In 1989 Company B released their second album, "Gotta Dance" and ditched the white platinum wigs. They released more singles that never realized the success of "Fascinated" Same story with their third album "3" released in 1996.

As of 2006 Company B (in some line-up version or another) was still performing and doing shows.

Lyrics:

I want to play with you tonight
Hold me, that's all that's on my mind
Baby, something feels so right
Maybe we could play tonight

I want to be so in love with you
I want to do just what you want to do
I want to be all that to you
I got a dream, and you can make it true
(Chorus):
'Cuz I, I'm fascinated by your love boy
And I'm fascinated by your love toy
I'm fascinated by the way you make me feel
(Repeat two times)

Love me until the morning light
Please me, make me feel alright
Kiss me, let me make you mine
I love it, loving you some times
Come on, come on, I want to be with you
Come on, come on, I won't get over you
I want to do just what you want me to
I got a dream and you can make it good
(Chorus - Repeat three times)

3 comments:

  1. Who is the lead singer on Fascinated? Her vocal is part of the appeal of that song. As well as the percussion and synth hook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same thing i'm trying to figure out. Love her voice!, whoever it is.

    ReplyDelete